Re: [patch 2/2] agpgart - Remove unnecessary flushes.

From: Dave Jones
Date: Mon Dec 18 2006 - 19:06:08 EST

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 07:24:37PM +0100, Thomas Hellström wrote:
> This patch is to speed up flipping of pages in and out of the AGP
> aperture as needed by the new drm memory manager.
>
> A number of global cache flushes are removed as well as some PCI posting
> flushes.
> The following guidelines have been used:
>
> 1) Memory that is only mapped uncached and that has been subject to a
> global cache flush after the mapping was changed to uncached does not
> need any more cache flushes. Neither before binding to the aperture nor
> after unbinding.
>
> 2) Only do one PCI posting flush after a sequence of writes modifying
> page entries in the GATT.
>
> Patch against davej's agpgart.git

I looked at applying this one to agpgart.git, as it's less controversial
than the other patch. However,..

- MIME : just say no. I had to hand fix up a few things before git would
even see that I was feeding it a diff.
- No Signed-off-by: line.
- The diff adds trailing whitespace. This makes git sad also.
(This problem also affects the other diff, which is possibly why...)
- Finally..
error: patch failed: drivers/char/agp/generic.c:1076
error: drivers/char/agp/generic.c: patch does not apply
error: patch failed: drivers/char/agp/intel-agp.c:256
error: drivers/char/agp/intel-agp.c: patch does not apply

Perhaps this diff should have have been [1/2] instead.

Can you fix those up, and resend this one?

The other diff I want to chew over some more before applying, especially
after Arjan's comments.

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk