Re: [patch 1/2] agpgart - allow user-populated memory types.

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Tue Dec 19 2006 - 07:17:56 EST

> A short background:
> The current code uses vmalloc only. The potential use of kmalloc was
> introduced
> to save memory and cpu-speed.
> All agp drivers expect to see a single memory chunk, so I'm not sure we
> want to have an array of pages. That may require rewriting a lot of code.

but if it's clearly the right thing.....
How hard can it be? there are what.. 5 or 6 AGP drivers in the kernel?

> If it's acceptable I'd like to go for the vmalloc / kmalloc flag, or at
> worst keep the current vmalloc only but that's such a _huge_ memory
> waste for small buffers. The flag was the original idea, but
> unfortunately the agp_memory struct is part of the drm interface, and I
> wasn't sure we could add a variable to it.

I doubt this is part of the userspace interface so for sure we can
change it to be right.

--
if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at) linux.intel.com
Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via http://www.linuxfirmwarekit.org