Re: Linux 2.6.20-rc1

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Tue Dec 19 2006 - 09:32:34 EST

Jens Axboe wrote:
Just noticed that most of the mails I wrote on this thread were
apparently without linux-kernel cc'ed (dunno who removed the cc). So
I'll write a small summary - the problem is that hddtemp includes some
fragile code to check the sense info, and this commit:

http://git.kernel.dk/?p=linux-2.6-block.git;a=commit;h=f38621b3109068adc8430bc2d170ccea59df4261

broke it. hddtemp expects 14, but it now sees 12. IMHO hddtemp is buggy
and should be fixed, the best option is simply to kill the sense checks
as I think they have little (if any) value. Patch below for that.

So the problem was never the SG_IO changes, the fact that somebody
noticed the same thing in bugzilla for a 2.6.19-rc6-mm kernel backs that
up.

From what I've seen it appears that smartctl has the same problem, it was also reporting the device didn't support SMART..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada