Re: Linux 2.6.20-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Dec 19 2006 - 12:50:52 EST

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006, Robert Hancock wrote:

> From what I've seen it appears that smartctl has the same problem, it was also
> reporting the device didn't support SMART..

No, there were actually two different problems, and to confuse people,
they had the same _symptoms_.

Commit 0e75f9063f5c55fb0b0b546a7c356f8ec186825e introduced a bug where
SG_IO wouldn't copy the data back to user space correctly, which was why
you got various tools like "dvd+rw-mediainfo" (and probably smartctl too)
breaking.

That was also probably why bisection didn't pick out the right commit for
the _other_ bug: it was effectively masked by the same problem, so the
fact that commit f38621b3109068adc8430bc2d170ccea59df4261 fixed the sense
info details and broke hddtemp was not visible as a bug, because the sense
info was _more_ corrupted by the other bug, and thus "git bisect" walked
back to where the _first_ bug was introduced, rather than the second one.

Anyway, sounds like hddtemp was just buggy.

Linus