Re: Changes to sysfs PM layer break userspace

From: Matthew Garrett
Date: Tue Dec 19 2006 - 15:08:38 EST

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 09:03:21PM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> humm shouldn't the driver do this when the interface is brought down?
> sounds like you're playing with fire to do this behind the drivers'
> back....

I'm not sure. Suspending the chip means you lose things like link beat
detection, so it's not something you necessarily want to automatically
tie to something like interface status. Some chips support more
fine-grained power management, so we could do something more sensible in
that case - but right now, there doesn't seem to be a lot of driver
support for it.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx