Re: Bug 7596 - Potential performance bottleneck for Linxu TCP

From: David Miller
Date: Wed Dec 20 2006 - 00:16:45 EST

From: Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 21:11:24 -0800

> It was the realtime/normal comments that piqued my interest.
> Perhaps we should either tweak process priority or remove
> the comments.

I mentioned that to Linus once and he said the entire
idea was bogus.

With the recent tcp_recvmsg() preemption issue thread,
I agree with his sentiments even more than I did previously.

What needs to happen is to liberate the locking so that
input packet processing can occur in parallel with
tcp_recvmsg(), instead of doing this bogus backlog thing
which can wedge TCP ACK processing for an entire quantum
if we take a kernel preemption while the process has the
socket lock held.