Re: [patch] x86_64: fix boot time hang in detect_calgary()

From: Dave Jones
Date: Wed Dec 20 2006 - 10:28:58 EST

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 11:53:32AM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> the patch below fixes the boot hang by trusting the BIOS-supplied data
> structure a bit less: the parser always has to make forward progress,
> and if it doesnt, we break out of the loop and i get the expected kernel
> message:
>
> Calgary: Unable to locate Rio Grande Table in EBDA - bailing!

Good job tracking this down. I saw someone get bit by probably this
same bug a few days ago. Whilst on the subject though, can we do
something about the printk ?
It always bothered me that some drivers print something when
a) built-in, and b) they don't find something.
For kitchen sink kernels, this makes for a really noisy bootup.

So you didn't find hardware I know I don't have. Big deal, move on.
dmesg spam these days is getting really out of hand.

hmm, maybe a mod_printk, to only printk something when built as
a module ?

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk