Re: Patch "i386: Relocatable kernel support" causes instant reboot

From: Vivek Goyal
Date: Thu Dec 21 2006 - 06:40:16 EST

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 03:32:33AM -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Jean Delvare <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> >> OK, I'll start the tests now, I'll let you know the outcome when I'm
> >> done.
> >
> > Hm, that was quick... Even with your unmodified patch, the machine
> > still reboots. Does that make any sense to you?
> >
> > I can try installing a more recent system on the same hardware if it
> > helps.
>
> Grr. I guessed the problem was to late in the game it seems the problem
> is in setup.S Before we switch to 32bit mode.
>
> Ok. There is almost enough for inference but here is a patch of stops
> for setup.S let's see if one of those will stop the reboots.
>
> I have a strong feeling that we are going to find a tool chain issue,
> but I'd like to find where we ware having problems before we declare
> that to be the case.

Looks like it might be a tool chain issue. I took Jean's config file and
built my own kernel and I am able to boot the kernel. But I can't boot
his bzImage. I observed the same behaviour as jean is experiencing. It jumps
back to BIOS.

I am using grub 0.97. So any dependency on lilo can be ruled out in this
case.

Following is my software environment.

gcc version 4.1.1 20061130 (Red Hat 4.1.1-43)
GNU ld version 2.17.50.0.6-2.el5 20061020

I got Intel Xeon machine.

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 4
model name : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.40GHz
stepping : 3
cpu MHz : 3400.483
cache size : 2048 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 1
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 5
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl est cid cx16 xtpr
bogomips : 6805.59
clflush size : 64

Thanks
Vivek