RE: newbie questions about while (1) in kernel mode and spinlocks

From: SR, Krishna
Date: Thu Dec 21 2006 - 13:26:07 EST

Hi,

Well, Spin lock itself is a while loop. So in case a process on another
CPU has the semaphore and you get a spin lock and try to wait on a
semaphore and the other CPU also tries to get the spin lock then you are
in a dead loop.

CPU 1 CPU 2
Get sem-1 (success)
Spin lock (success) .......

... .....
... Spin lock??? No you are locked....
Get sem -1 (block)
You are blocked now

That is the reason we always make sure that we never do any thing that
can sleep in a place after we have spin lock.

And as Paolo tells, all these if PREEMPTION is disabled. But in any case
if the signals are not handled then the processes are blocked.

Thanks and Best Regards,
KK