Re: Want comments regarding patch

From: Horst H. von Brand
Date: Thu Dec 28 2006 - 15:07:57 EST

Daniel Marjamäki <daniel.marjamaki@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I sent a patch with this content:
>
> - for (i = 0; i < MAX_PIRQS; i++)
> - pirq_entries[i] = -1;
> + memset(pirq_entries, -1, sizeof(pirq_entries));
>
> I'd like to know if you have any comments to this change. It was of
> course my intention to make the code shorter, simpler and faster.

- Is this code in some fast path? If so, I'd set up a constant array that
is memcpy()'d over the variable (or used to initialize it) as needed.
- If not, what is the point? Shaving off a few bytes/cycles and paying for
that with massive developer confusion? What if the constant changes and
is -2, or 1, tomorrow?