Re: [BUG-RT] RTC has been stopped-> long delay during boot, soft reboot->GRUB fails to call getrtsecs()

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Jan 02 2007 - 11:19:53 EST

* Remy Bohmer <l.pinguin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Ingo,
>
> I have discovered 3 problems that are likely all related to the same
> root-cause, likely to be caused by the RT-kernel.
> I use the 2.6.19-rt15 kernel, with the configuration attached to this mail.
> It is running on a standard x86, i945, Celeron 2.93 GHZ (=UP), Fedora Core 6
>
> So, I have set the following options:
> CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS=y
> CONFIG_NO_HZ=y
>
> The problems:
> 1. During (cold and warm) boot the synchronisation of the hardware
> clock takes often very long time, up to approx. 30 seconds. (This is
> the call: /sbin/hwclock --hctosys --localtime)

i tried this on a recent -rt kernel and there's no delay:

[root@europe ~]# time /sbin/hwclock --hctosys --localtime

real 0m0.756s
user 0m0.754s
sys 0m0.002s

could you try a more recent kernel like 2.6.20-rc2-rt3? We fixed a good
number of high-res timers related bugs that could result in similar
hangs. But maybe it's still unfixed, it's just a guess.

Ingo