Re: [patch] aio: add per task aio wait event condition

From: Zach Brown
Date: Tue Jan 02 2007 - 19:49:38 EST

On Dec 29, 2006, at 6:31 PM, Chen, Kenneth W wrote:

The AIO wake-up notification from aio_complete is really inefficient
in current AIO implementation in the presence of process waiting in
io_getevents().

Yeah, it's a real deficiency. Thanks for taking a stab at it.

This patch adds a wait condition to the wait queue and only wake-up
process when that condition meets. And this condition is added on a
per task base for handling multi-threaded app that shares single ioctx.

But only one of the waiting tasks is tested, the one at the head of the list. It looks like this change could starve a io_getevents() with a low min_nr in the presence of another io_getevents() with a larger min_nr.

Before:
0 0 0 3972608 7056 31312 0 0 14100 0 7885 13747 0 2 98 0
After:
0 0 0 3972608 7056 31312 0 0 13800 0 7885 42 0 2 98 0

Nice. What min_nr was used in this test?

+struct aio_wait_queue {
+ int nr_wait; /* wake-up condition */

It appears that this is never assigned a negative? Can we make it that explicit in the type so that we reviewers don't have to worry about wrapping and signed comparisons?

- DECLARE_WAITQUEUE(wait, tsk);
+ struct aio_wait_queue wait;

+ aio_init_wait(&wait);

This just changed from using default_wake_function() to autoremove_wait_function(). Very sneaky! wait_for_all_aios() should be adding the wait queue before going to sleep each time. (better still to just use wait_event()).

Was this on purpose? I'm all for it as a way to reduce wakeups from a stream of completions to a single waiter.

+ nr_evt = ring->tail - ring->head;
+ if (nr_evt < 0)
+ nr_evt += info->nr;

int = unsigned - unsigned;
if (int < 0)

My head already hurts. Can we clean this up so one doesn't have to live and breath type conversion rules to tell if this code is correct?

+ if (waitqueue_active(&ctx->wait)) {
+ struct aio_wait_queue *wait;
+ wait = container_of(ctx->wait.task_list.next,
+ struct aio_wait_queue, wait.task_list);
+ if (nr_evt >= wait->nr_wait)
+ wake_up(&ctx->wait);
+ }

First is the fear of starvation as mentioned previously.

issue 2 ops
first io_getevents sleeps with a min_nr of 2
second io_getevents sleeps with min_nr of 3
2 ops complete but only test the second sleeper's min_nr of 3
first sleeper twiddles thumbs

This makes me think this elegant task_list approach is doomed. I think this is what stopped Ben and I from being interested in this last time we talked about it :).

Also, is that container_of() and dereference safe in the presence of racing wake-ups? It looks like we could get deref a freed wait and get a bogus nr_wait and decide not to wake.

Andrew, I fear we should remove this from -mm until it's fixed up.

- z