Re: [patch] aio: add per task aio wait event condition

From: Zach Brown
Date: Tue Jan 02 2007 - 21:06:42 EST

On Jan 2, 2007, at 5:50 PM, Chen, Kenneth W wrote:

Zach Brown wrote on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 5:24 PM
That is not possible because when multiple tasks waiting for
events, they
enter the wait queue in FIFO order, prepare_to_wait_exclusive() does
__add_wait_queue_tail(). So first io_getevents() with min_nr of 2
will be woken up when 2 ops completes.

So switch the order of the two sleepers in the example?

Not sure why that would be a problem though: whoever sleep first will
be woken up first.

Why would the min_nr = 3 sleeper be woken up in that case? Only 2 ios were issued.

Maybe the app was relying on the min_nr = 2 completion to issue 3 more ios for the min_nr = 3 sleeper, who knows.

Before I challenge that semantics, I want to mention that in current
implementation, dribbling AIO events will be distributed in round robin
fashion to all pending tasks waiting in io_getevents.

Yeah, don't misunderstand me -- we agree that the current situation is bad.

In the example you
gave earlier, task with min_nr of 2 will be woken up after 4 completed
events.

I only gave 2 ios/events in that example.

Does that clear up the confusion?

- z