Re: 2.6.19 and up to 2.6.20-rc2 Ethernet problems x86_64

From: Jarek Poplawski
Date: Wed Jan 03 2007 - 05:46:58 EST

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 03:32:01PM +0000, Sid Boyce wrote:
> Jarek Poplawski wrote:
> >If you could send full ifconfig, route -n (or ip route
> >if you use additional tables) and tcpdump (all packets)
> >from both boxes while pinging each other and a few words
> >how it is connected (other cards, other active boxes in
> >the network?) maybe something more could be found.
> Everything is fine with a eepro100 on the 64x2 box that gave the same
> problem with a nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller (rev a1)
> using the forcedeth module. On the x86_64 laptop the problem is with a
> Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5788 using the tg3 module. Switching back to a
> 2.6.18.2 kernel, there is no problem.
> With all configurations of cards on both, route -n is the same on all
> kernels and instantly reports back. With >=2.6.19 on the laptop, netstat
> -r takes a very long time before returning the information ~30 seconds,
> instantly on 2.6.18.2.

This could be a problem with DNS. Could you do all tests
(including pinging) with -n option?

I've read your other message on netdev and see you
have firewall working and addresses from various
networks in logs. I think it would be much easier
to exclude possible network config errors and try
to isolate pinging problems by connecting (with
switch or even crossed cable if possible) only 2
boxes with firewalls and other net devices disabled
and try to repeat this pinging with tcpdumps.

Jarek P.