Re: Symbol links to only needed and targeted source files

From: Pelle Svensson
Date: Wed Jan 03 2007 - 17:35:40 EST

On 1/3/07, Sam Ravnborg <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 10:14:43PM +0100, Pelle Svensson wrote:
> Hi Sam,
>
> You misunderstand me I think, I already using a separate output directory.
> What I like to do is a separate 'source tree' with only valid files
> for my configuration. In that way, when I use grep for instance,
> I would only hit valid files and not 50 other files which are
> not in the current build configuration.

I see.
There is nothing in kbuild that will help you to achieve this.
If you build the kernel and parse all .*.cmd files then
you can build a complete list of files used and create your
symlinked tree.
But then you need a fully build kernel to do so.

I see no easy way to get the info without building the kernel
and if we do this only as a preprocessing step then we will
most likely not integrate it in kbuild since the user base will
be small. But if you hack up something lets take a look at it.

Sam

Hi Sam,

Ok, at least I know I'm not doing double work.

/Thanks