Initial Promise SX4 hw docs opened

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Jan 03 2007 - 21:09:25 EST

The first open hardware docs for the Promise SX4 (sata_sx4) series are now available:
http://gkernel.sourceforge.net/specs/promise/pdc20621-pguide-dimm-1.6.pdf.bz2
http://gkernel.sourceforge.net/specs/promise/pdc20621-pguide-pll-ata-timing-1.2.pdf.bz2

These are only small, ancillary guides; the main hardware doc should be opened soon.

However, I would like to take this opportunity to point hackers looking for a project at this hardware. The Promise SX4 is pretty neat, and it needs more attention than I can give, to reach its full potential.

Here's a braindump:

* It's an older chipset/board, probably not actively sold anymore

* ATA programming interface very close to sata_promise (PDC2037x)

* Contains on-board DIMM, to be used for any purpose the driver desires

* Contains on-board RAID5 XOR, also fully programmable

A key problem is that, under Linux, sata_sx4 cannot fully exploit the RAID-centric power of this hardware by driving the hardware in "dumb ATA mode" as it does.

A better driver would notice when a RAID1 or RAID5 array contains multiple components attached to the SX4, and send only a single copy of the data to the card (saving PCI bus bandwidth tremendously). Similarly, a better driver would take advantage of the RAID5 XOR offload capabilities, to offload the entire RAID5 read or write transaction to the card.

All this is difficult within either the MD or DM RAID frameworks, because optimizing each RAID transaction requires intimate knowledge of the hardware. We have the knowledge... but I don't have good ideas -- aside from an SX4-specific RAID 0/1/5/6 driver -- on how to exploit this knowledge.

Traditionally the vendor has distributed a SCSI driver that implements the necessary RAID stack pieces entirely in the hardware driver itself. That sort of approach definitely works, but is traditionally rejected by upstream maintainers because it essentially requires a third (if h/w specific) RAID stack.

Jeff