Re: VM: Fix nasty and subtle race in shared mmap'ed page writeback

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Jan 04 2007 - 01:12:41 EST

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 17:03:43 +1100
Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > That bug was introduced in 2.6.19, with the dirty page tracking patches.
> >
> > 2.6.18 and earlier used ->private_lock coverage in try_to_free_buffers() to
> > prevent it.
>
> Ohh, right you are, I was looking at 2.6.19 sources. The comments above
> ttfb match that as well. Curious that the dirty page patches were allowed
> to mess with this...

Frankly, those patches scared the crap out of me, specifically because of
the delicacy and complexity of the various dirtiness state coherencies.
But I just didn't have the bandwidth to go through them with a sufficiently
fine toothcomb, sorry.

> Anyway that leaves us with the question of why Andrea's database is getting
> corrupted. Hopefully he can give us a minimal test-case.

It'd odd that stories of pre-2.6.19 BerkeleyDB corruption are now coming
out of the woodwork. It's the first I've ever heard of them.