Re: open(O_DIRECT) on a tmpfs?

From: Peter Staubach
Date: Thu Jan 04 2007 - 12:54:44 EST

Hugh Dickins wrote:
On Thu, 4 Jan 2007, Bill Davidsen wrote:
In many cases the use of O_DIRECT is purely to avoid impact on cache used by
other applications. An application which writes a large quantity of data will
have less impact on other applications by using O_DIRECT, assuming that the
data will not be read from cache due to application pattern or the data being
much larger than physical memory.

I see that as a good argument _not_ to allow O_DIRECT on tmpfs,
which inevitably impacts cache, even if O_DIRECT were requested.

But I'd also expect any app requesting O_DIRECT in that way, as a caring
citizen, to fall back to going without O_DIRECT when it's not supported.

I suppose that one could also argue that the backing store for tmpfs
is the memory itself and thus, O_DIRECT could or should be supported.

Thanx...

ps