Re: open(O_DIRECT) on a tmpfs?

From: Michael Tokarev
Date: Fri Jan 05 2007 - 06:50:10 EST

Hugh Dickins wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Jan 2007, Michael Tokarev wrote:
>> I wonder why open() with O_DIRECT (for example) bit set is
>> disallowed on a tmpfs (again, for example) filesystem,
>> returning EINVAL.
[]
> p.s. You said "O_DIRECT (for example)" - what other open
> flag do you think tmpfs should support which it does not?

Well. Somehow I was under an impression O_SYNC behaves the
same as O_DIRECT on a tmpfs. But I was wrong - tmpfs permits
O_SYNC opens just fine. Strange thing to do having in mind
its behaviour with O_DIRECT - to me it's inconsistent ;)
But that's it - looks like only O_DIRECT is "mishandled"
(which is not a big deal obviously).

Thanks for your time!

/mjt