Re: [patch 2.6.20-rc3 1/3] rtc-cmos driver

From: David Brownell
Date: Fri Jan 05 2007 - 23:03:02 EST

On Friday 05 January 2007 7:10 pm, David Brownell wrote:
> On Friday 05 January 2007 12:45 pm, Alessandro Zummo wrote:

> > I'd appreciate if someone (Woody?) can test
> > this code on ARM.
>
> There are PPC, M68K, SPARC, and other boards that could also
> use this; ARMs tend to integrate some other RTC on-chip. But
> on whatever non-PC platform is involved in such sanity testing,
> that involves adding a platform_device to board setup code.

Let me put that differently. That should be done as a separate
patch, adding (a) that platform_device, and maybe platform_data
if it's got additional alarm registers, and (b) Kconfig support
to let that work. I'd call it a "patch #4 of 3". ;)

The current Kconfig uses:

> +config RTC_DRV_CMOS
> +       tristate "CMOS real time clock"
> +       depends on RTC_CLASS && (X86_PC || ACPI)

Eventually maybe the PC-or-ACPI stuff should vanish, but IMO
not until this code has been used on a few other platforms.

- Dave