Re: Multi kernel tree support on the same distro?

From: Akula2
Date: Sun Jan 07 2007 - 04:14:32 EST

On 1/5/07, Auke Kok <sofar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
keeping 2 gcc's around usually is just a pain, but might also work.

gcc-4.1.1 might give some problems with some packages and just work fine otherwise too,
but 3.4.6 has just been known to work all around more.

I am planning in this fashion:-

gcc-3.4.x (latest in that tree) to build 2.4.34 kernel
gcc-4.1.x (latest in that tree) to build 2.6.20 kernel (once released)

And, all the required utils for these kernels.

There is no other option for me (this is fairly I can call as an
Experimental work, but this effort would add a lots for my work in the
Labs).

well, my own of course ;)
> http://lunar-linux.org/

This am not so sure (totally new for me), but I shall really try
Lunar...thanks :-)

This time am looking to work with the OpenSuSE10.2 to create my kind
of environment. But, am not sure if there are any big issues. Else, I
may stick to FC6.

Only bottleneck would be the wrapping the utils as you have mentioned earlier.

but perhaps that's too much work for you, lunar definately is rather spartan for most
people, and maybe not what you prefer. OTOH it does give you almost all the freedom that
LFS gives you, and often very stable.

Very true, but I shall have a look at that, thanks again.

that's all you'd need to get started. I suggest shopping distros a bit. Even debian
might already work a lot better. but the major distros like RH, SuSE are just not
focussed on multi-booting 2.4/2.6 side-by-side anymore.

I have good exposure with Debain, especially with my Embedded domain
(ARM Linux). But, somehow I felt like am more comfortable with Fedora
or SuSE to do many other things (hmm, here I lack much of the Embedded
support compared to Debian).

This is my actual initiative; have to crack this problem.

Lastly, one question I didn't understand:-

Someone said in the reply to this thread that we shouldn't have 2
kernels on the same distro? I didn't understand here clearly *Why
Not*?

Cheers,

Auke

~Akula2