Re: How git affects kernel.org performance

From: Rene Herman
Date: Sun Jan 07 2007 - 04:40:24 EST

On 01/07/2007 10:15 AM, Andrew Morton wrote:

Yeah, slowly-growing directories will get splattered all over the
disk.

Possible short-term fixes would be to just allocate up to (say) eight
blocks when we grow a directory by one block. Or teach the directory-growth code to use ext3 reservations.

Longer-term people are talking about things like on-disk
rerservations. But I expect directories are being forgotten about in
all of that.

I wish people would just talk about de2fsrag... ;-\

Rene