Re: Linux 2.6.20-rc4

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Sun Jan 07 2007 - 16:26:38 EST

On Sunday 07 January 2007 01:19, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>There's absolutely nothing interesting here, unless you want to play

Running on FC6, all uptodate as of yesterday, using LVM on an XP-2800
Athlon & a gig of ram.

First boot of 2.6.20-rc4 here, in the messages scrolling by, the nptd
startup failed. But after fully booting and x was started, a restart
worked, albeit it took several seconds for the startup phase. NDI if it
means anything or not.

And maybe I'm seeing the effects of this ext3 bug that's hurting
kernel.org here, it seems the x startup has everything 100% serialized
now and that's slow as snails. A good 15-17 seconds from the background
image being loaded to all the shells reopened I left open when I logged
out of x, and gkrellm is all restarted. With a cpu running at 2.1 ghz,
and a 333mhz FSB, I'd think that should be 2, maybe 3 seconds. And I
think I can recall times like that when I was running ext2 in a past
life. I'm hoping whatever fixes kernel.org will filter back to us peons
in due time.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)