Re: How git affects kernel.org performance

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Mon Jan 08 2007 - 08:15:35 EST

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 08:35:55AM +0530, Suparna Bhattacharya wrote:
> > Yeah, slowly-growing directories will get splattered all over the disk.
> >
> > Possible short-term fixes would be to just allocate up to (say) eight
> > blocks when we grow a directory by one block. Or teach the
> > directory-growth code to use ext3 reservations.
> >
> > Longer-term people are talking about things like on-disk rerservations.
> > But I expect directories are being forgotten about in all of that.
>
> By on-disk reservations, do you mean persistent file preallocation ? (that
> is explicit preallocation of blocks to a given file) If so, you are
> right, we haven't really given any thought to the possibility of directories
> needing that feature.

The fastest and probably most important thing to add is some readahead
smarts to directories --- both to the htree and non-htree cases. If
you're using some kind of b-tree structure, such as XFS does for
directories, preallocation doesn't help you much. Delayed allocation
can save you if your delayed allocator knows how to structure disk
blocks so that a btree-traversal is efficient, but I'm guessing the
biggest reason why we are losing is because we don't have sufficient
readahead. This also has the advantage that it will help without
needing to doing a backup/restore to improve layout.

Allocating some number of empty blocks when we grow the directory
would be a quick hack that I'd probably do as a 2nd priority. It
won't help pre-existing directories, but combined with readahead
logic, should help us out greatly in the non-btree case.

- Ted