Re: IDE discovered as SATA - 2.6.20-rc4

From: Rene Herman
Date: Mon Jan 08 2007 - 09:24:22 EST

On 01/08/2007 02:44 PM, Dimitar G. Katerinski wrote:

After some investigation, I find out that my IDE chipset is being discovered as SATA, so my hard drive is not /dev/hda, but /dev/sda.

It seems you compiled in support for "PATA", more specifically for:

00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation nForce2 IDE (rev a2)

"<*> AMD/NVidia PATA support (Experimental)"

in the "Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers" menu under "Device Drivers". PATA is what is also known as IDE and the PATA drivers are a new set of IDE drivers, using the same infrastructure as SCSI and SATA (and USB, and ..). Yes, they're newly integrated in 2.6.20. One of the advatages of these new drivers are better error handling than the old IDE driver.

I'm using that same specific driver by the way (on amd756) and it's working very nicely for me.

Rene.