Re: bd_mount_mutex -> bd_mount_sem (was Re: xfs_file_ioctl / xfs_freeze:BUG: warning at kernel/mutex-debug.c:80/debug_mutex_unlock())

From: Eric Sandeen
Date: Mon Jan 08 2007 - 22:38:29 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 21:12:40 -0600
Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Andrew Morton wrote:
On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 10:47:28 +1100
David Chinner <dgc@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 10:40:54AM -0600, Eric Sandeen wrote:
Sami Farin wrote:
On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 08:37:34 +1100, David Chinner wrote:
fstab was there just fine after -u.
Oh, that still hasn't been fixed?
Looked like it =)
Hm, it was proposed upstream a while ago:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/9/27/137

I guess it got lost?
Seems like it. Andrew, did this ever get queued for merge?
Seems not. I think people were hoping that various nasties in there
would go away. We return to userspace with a kernel lock held??
Is a semaphore any worse than the current mutex in this respect? At least unlocking from another thread doesn't violate semaphore rules. :)

I assume that if we weren't returning to userspace with a lock held, this
mutex problem would simply go away.

Well nobody's asserting that the filesystem must always be locked & unlocked by the same thread, are they? That'd be a strange rule to enforce upon the userspace doing the filesystem management wouldn't it? Or am I thinking about this wrong...

-Eric