Re: [KORG] Re: kernel.org lies about latest -mm kernel

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Mon Jan 08 2007 - 23:29:55 EST

Hi again.

On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 21:17 -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-12-26 at 08:49 -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> >> The two things git users can do to help is:
> >>
> >> 1. Make sure your alternatives file is set up correctly;
> >> 2. Keep your trees packed and pruned, to keep the file count down.
> >>
> >> If you do this, the load imposed by a single git tree is fairly negible.
> >
> > Sorry for the slow reply, and the ignorance... what's an alternatives
> > file? I've never heard of them before.
> >

> Just a minor correction; it's the "alternates" file
> (objects/info/alternates).

I went looking for documentation on how to use the alternates feature,
and found an email from September 2005
(http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0509.1/2860.html) that
says:

<quote>
/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/$u/$tree

Of course, you may have more than one such $tree. The
suggestion by Linus was to do (please do not do this yet -- that
is what this message is about):

$ cd /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/$u/$tree
$ cat /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6/objects \
>objects/info/alternates
$ GIT_DIR=. git prune
</quote>

Are these instructions still correct in the case of master.kernel.org?

Regards,

Nigel