Re: agpgart: drm-populated memory types

From: Thomas Hellström
Date: Tue Jan 09 2007 - 03:29:43 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
A short recap why I belive the kmalloc / vmalloc construct is necessary:

0) The current code uses vmalloc only.
1) The allocated area ranges from 4 bytes possibly up to 512 kB, depending on
on the size of the AGP buffer allocated.
2) Large buffers are very few. Small buffers tend to be quite many. If we continue to use vmalloc only or another page-based scheme we will
waste approx one page per buffer, together with the added slowness of
vmalloc. This will severely hurt applications with a lot of small
texture buffers.

Please let me know if you still consider this unacceptable.

explicit use of either kmalloc/vmalloc is fine with me; I would suggest
an 2*PAGE_SIZE cutoff for this decision

In that case I suggest sticking with vmalloc for now.

Also please let me know if there are other parths of the patch that should be
reworked.

The patch that follows is against Dave's agpgart repo.

<you forgot the patch>

Hmm.
Still struggling with git-send-email.
Now it should have arrived.