Re: Strange ethN numbering problem.

From: John Clark
Date: Tue Jan 09 2007 - 13:18:53 EST

Andrey Borzenkov schrieb:
John Clark wrote:

Then quite likely it remembered lower numbers for "old" interfaces and
starts renaming with next available.

The kernel is 2.6.19.1 the at-that-moment current linux kernel.

What should I look for in terms of interface renaming.

I guess in udev rules; look also if you have /etc/iftab. The best you can do
is asking in lists/groups dedicated to your distribution.

-andrey

Thanks.

It was 'udev rules' that were messing things up, left over from using the disk on a different
piece of hardware. To date I've been making only 'embedded' systems using busybox, and other
similarly limited root environments and never really dealt with a pretty much full up distribution
outside of my host development systems. Hence, never really had gotten in to 'udev'. I've been
using devfs mostly till recently... However, in anticipation of large capacity flash systems, I've moved
to making my embedded systems almost as full up as most host systems.

Is there some startup command line option for the linux kernel to force the 'udev' management
program to basically 'ignore and refresh' device names?

John Clark.