Re: .version keeps being updated

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jan 09 2007 - 18:22:49 EST

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > This new behavior of the kernel build system is likely to
> > make developers angry pretty quickly.
>
> That might motivate them to fix it ;)

Actually, how about just removing the incrementing version count entirely?

I realize that it's really really old, and has been there basically since
day one, but on the other hand, it's old not because it's fundamentally
important, but because it's just been maintained. How about just dropping
it entirely?

We have more useful _real_ versioning these days, with git commit ID's
etc.

Linus