Re: SATA/IDE Dual Mode w/Intel 945 Chipset or HOW TO LIQUIFY a flashIDE chip under 2.6.18

From: Jeff V. Merkey
Date: Tue Jan 09 2007 - 19:00:53 EST

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 01:46:42PM -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

I just finished pulling out a melted IDE flash drive out of a Shuttle motherboard with the intel 945 chipset which claims to support
SATA and IDE drives concurrently under Linux 2.6.18.

The chip worked for about 30 seconds before liquifying in the chassis. I note that the 945 chipset in the shuttle PC had some serious
issues recognizing 2 x SATA devices and a IDE device concurrently. Are there known problems with the Linux drivers
with these newer chipsets.

Had the drive ever been used in any other machine?

Yes, on a SuperMicro X6DHE-G2 Xeon motherboard -- worked fine.

Had any ide device
ever been used in this machine before?

Yes. external cabled CDROM Drive seems to work.

Jeff

It really sounds like a hardware
problem, since I can't think of anything software could do to make that
kind of current go through the flash drive.

I remember seeing the controller chip on a 730MB quantum scsi drive
start to glow red many years ago, just before the drive stopped
responding to the system (and I turned off the power). Hardware does
fail. It almost never has anything to do with software.

--
Len Sorensen