Re: SATA/IDE Dual Mode w/Intel 945 Chipset or HOW TO LIQUIFY a flashIDE chip under 2.6.18

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Jan 10 2007 - 10:05:33 EST

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 07:25:00PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
Combined mode is a technical term. Judging from your answers, you are not using combined mode.

I would have thought 'sata 3.0 + IDE' sounded a lot like combined mode,
unless it means seperate sata and ide.

Enhanced mode means separate SATA and PATA.

(I recommend avoiding the "IDE" acronym, it is largely meaningless and confusing these days)

Judging from your answers, you are not in AHCI mode.

Side note: You should use AHCI if available. Emulating a PATA interface for SATA devices is error prone [in the silicon]. AHCI is native SATA, "enhanced mode" is not.

I tried setting my sister's new machine to AHCI mode (Asus P5B with 965
chipset), but I eventually gave up since it also needed windows xp on it
and I can't for the life of me find an AHCI driver for windows that
would install.

Um, ok?

We're talking about Linux here. Linux regularly supports hardware before Windows does. This is nothing new.

Jeff