Re: installing only the newly (re)built modules

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Jan 10 2007 - 18:04:16 EST

Alexy Khrabrov wrote:
Well, fast -- it depends! :) My Crusoe tablet, Compaq TC1000, can
use any break it gets... And generally, the beauty of a make system
is not to do any extra moves. Since it already knows what to build,
why not let it install just that?
The answer just came to me, because you may have deleted creation of a module, and make doesn't know how to get it out of the directory. So the modules file is rebuilt from zero, rather than put in a lot of logic which might result in problems.

Think moving a driver from module to built in, what happens if you modprobe the module? Or if you delete a module totally because some other module does your hardware better. Think network and sound on that, particularly. You do NOT want the old "works-badly" module around ready to jump in when something you overlooked loads it.

Just a case of preventing problems all at once rather than trying to be clever. I would think building a kernel on that hardware would take longer than the useful life of the release. I used to build 1.2.13 on a slow machine, and that took days.

In any case you have an answer, it's because being clever is hard.

Cheers,
Alexy

On 1/10/07, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Alexy Khrabrov wrote:
> The 2.6 build system compiles only those modules whose config
> changed. However, the install still installs all modules.
>
> Is there a way to entice make modules_install to install only those
> new modules we've actually just changed/built?

Out of curiosity, why? I've noticed this, but the copy runs so fast I
never really thought about it as an issue.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc