Re: O_DIRECT question

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Thu Jan 11 2007 - 23:58:57 EST

Nick Piggin wrote:
Linus Torvalds wrote:

Very basic issue: the perfect is the enemy of the good. Claiming that there is a "proper solution" is usually a total red herring. Quite often there isn't, and the "paper over" is actually not papering over, it's quite possibly the best solution there is.

Yeah *smallish* higher order allocations are fine, and we use them all the
time for things like stacks or networking.

But Aubrey (who somehow got removed from the cc list) wants to do order 9
allocations from userspace in his nommu environment. I'm just trying to be
realistic when I say that this isn't going to be robust and a userspace
solution is needed.

Oh, and also: I don't disagree with that limiting pagecache to some %
might be useful for other reasons.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.