Re: O_DIRECT question

From: dean gaudet
Date: Fri Jan 12 2007 - 02:57:58 EST

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, Viktor wrote:
> >
> > OK, madvise() used with mmap'ed file allows to have reads from a file
> > with zero-copy between kernel/user buffers and don't pollute cache
> > memory unnecessarily. But how about writes? How is to do zero-copy
> > writes to a file and don't pollute cache memory without using O_DIRECT?
> > Do I miss the appropriate interface?
>
> mmap()+msync() can do that too.
>
> Also, regular user-space page-aligned data could easily just be moved into
> the page cache. We actually have a lot of the infrastructure for it. See
> the "splice()" system call.

it seems to me that if splice and fadvise and related things are
sufficient for userland to take care of things "properly" then O_DIRECT
could be changed into splice/fadvise calls either by a library or in the
kernel directly...

looking at the splice(2) api it seems like it'll be difficult to implement
O_DIRECT pread/pwrite from userland using splice... so there'd need to be
some help there.

i'm probably missing something.

-dean