Re: kvm & dyntick

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Fri Jan 12 2007 - 12:04:56 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

dyntick-enabled guest:
- reduce the load on the host when the guest is idling
(currently an idle guest consumes a few percent cpu)
yeah. KVM under -rt already works with dynticks enabled on both the host and the guest. (but it's more optimal to use a dedicated hypercall to set the next guest-interrupt)

using the dynticks code from the -rt kernel makes the overhead of an idle guest go down by a factor of 10-15:

2556 mingo 15 0 598m 159m 157m R 1.5 8.0 0:26.20 qemu

As usual, great news.

( for this to work on my system i have added a 'hyper' clocksource hypercall API for KVM guests to use - this is needed instead of the running-to-slowly TSC. )

What's the problem with the TSC? The only issue I'm aware of is that the tsc might go backwards if the vcpu is migrated to another host cpu (easily fixed).

A pv clocksource makes sense in any case.