Re: ahci_softreset prevents acpi_power_off

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sun Jan 14 2007 - 13:08:31 EST

On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 19:59 +0200, Faik Uygur wrote:
> 14 Oca 2007 Paz 03:23 tarihinde, Robert Hancock ÅunlarÄ yazmÄÅtÄ:
> >> [...]
> > BIOS interaction causing this. The only thing that happens after the
> > "Entering sleep state" is that the kernel writes to some ACPI registers
> > to tell the hardware to power down. I think some laptop BIOSes do things
> > on ACPI power down like try to park the drive heads, etc. and maybe this
> > change that you found from git bisecting is somehow interfering with it
> > doing this?
> >
> > Might want to check for a BIOS update first of all..
>
> Checked from the Sony support page for the laptop model and seems the BIOS
> version is the latest.
>
> So it is nothing interesting but a broken BIOS.

Hi,

I'd be interested in finding out how to best test this; if the bios is
really broken I'd love to add a test to the Linux-ready Firmware
Developer Kit for this, so that BIOS developers can make sure future
bioses do not suffer from this bug...

Greetings,
Arjan van de Ven

--
if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at) linux.intel.com
Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via http://www.linuxfirmwarekit.org