Re: 2.6.19.2 regression introduced by "IPV4/IPV6: Fix inet{,6} deviceinitialization order."

From: David Stevens
Date: Sun Jan 14 2007 - 22:48:21 EST

I expect this is the failure to join the all-nodes multicast group,
in which case the fix has already been posted to netdev. I
believe the router advertisements are sent to that, and if the
join failed, it wouldn't receive any of them.

I think it's better to add the fix than withdraw this patch, since
the original bug is a crash.

Details:
The IPv6 code passes the "dev" entry to the multicast group
incrementer and uses it to dereference to get the in6_dev.
IPv4, by contrast, passes the in_dev directly to its equivalent
functions.

IPv6 joins the required "all-nodes" multicast group in the
multicast device initialization function, which due to the fix
won't have a dev entry at that time. The patch posted by
Yoshifuji Hideaki moves the all-nodes join until after the
ip6_ptr is added to the dev.

+-DLS