Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [patch 20/20] XEN-paravirt: Add Xen virtual block device driver.

From: Mark Williamson
Date: Mon Jan 15 2007 - 22:19:33 EST

> > +
> > + err = xenbus_printf(xbt, dev->nodename,
> > + "ring-ref","%u", info->ring_ref);
>
> why do you need your own printf?

xenbus_printf isn't a printf replacement - it is used for writing a formatted
string into XenStore (which contains VM configuration data in a
human-readable form).

Internally it does a vsnprintf into a buffer and writes the resulting string
to the XenStore.

Cheers,
Mark

> > +static inline int GET_ID_FROM_FREELIST(
>
> does this really need screaming?
>
> > +
> > +int blkif_ioctl(struct inode *inode, struct file *filep,
> > + unsigned command, unsigned long argument)
> > +{
> > + int i;
> > +
> > + DPRINTK_IOCTL("command: 0x%x, argument: 0x%lx, dev: 0x%04x\n",
> > + command, (long)argument, inode->i_rdev);
> > +
> > + switch (command) {
> > + case CDROMMULTISESSION:
> > + DPRINTK("FIXME: support multisession CDs later\n");
> > + for (i = 0; i < sizeof(struct cdrom_multisession); i++)
> > + if (put_user(0, (char __user *)(argument + i)))
> > + return -EFAULT;
> > + return 0;
> > +
> > + default:
> > + /*printk(KERN_ALERT "ioctl %08x not supported by Xen blkdev\n",
> > + command);*/
> > + return -EINVAL; /* same return as native Linux */
> > + }
>
> eh so you implement no ioctls.. why then implement the ioctl method at
> all?

I'm not familiar with this code... but perhaps the (fake) multisession
handling is to keep userspace that queries this happy? I can't really think
of anywhere this would apply off the top of my head, though.

Cheers,
Mark

> > +static struct xenbus_driver blkfront = {
> > + .name = "vbd",
> > + .owner = THIS_MODULE,
> > + .ids = blkfront_ids,
> > + .probe = blkfront_probe,
> > + .remove = blkfront_remove,
> > + .resume = blkfront_resume,
> > + .otherend_changed = backend_changed,
> > +};
>
> this can be const
>
> > +
> > +#define DPRINTK(_f, _a...) pr_debug(_f, ## _a)
>
> why this silly abstraction? Just use pr_debug in the code directly

Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat? And no pedals!
Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!