Re: 2.6.19.1, sata_sil: sata dvd writer doesn't work

From: Harald Dunkel
Date: Wed Jan 17 2007 - 16:47:31 EST

Hi Tejun,

Tejun Heo wrote:

> Okay, I just tested a number of dvds on x86-64 and x86. The error
> pattern is really interesting. It doesn't matter whether you're on
> x86-64 or x86, 2.6.18 or 2.6.20-rc5. The problem occurs when a dvd
> which doesn't match dvd's region mask is played.
>
> MMC command 0xa4 (READ KEY) is the one which always fails. After the
> failure, the odd goes into strange state and usually won't respond to
> commands. Interestingly, if you pull the power plug or reset the
> machine while the READ KEY command is in progress and then reconnect it,
> you can play the DVD after that. I've checked this multiple times and
> no, dvdcss key caching isn't the cause, crossed checked it multiple times.
>
> Once you played a dvd this way, the drive seems to remember the dvd and
> successfully plays it afterwards. I've checked this multiple times
> using completely separate OS installation (one x86, the other x86-64).

How comes that there is no such problem if I connect the drive
via an USB SATA adapter?

> This almost looks like new defense method against CSS-workaround. Can't
> understand why the drive remembers successfully played dvds tho.

I would have the option to return it (playing no DVDs is surely
a defect), but this would be a shame. It was lightning fast on writing,
a little bit noisy, though, but I was really glad to get rid of that
clumsy parallel cable.

Do you think it would be reasonable to send a bug report to Samsung,
and see what they say? I would need some documentation about these
MMC commands, though. Is this part of some "Red Book" standard, or
so?

Regards

Harri