Re: Weird harddisk behaviour

From: Ken Moffat
Date: Wed Jan 17 2007 - 19:19:01 EST

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 11:09:21AM +0100, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> Quoting Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > Certainly, fdisk from util-linux doesn't know about mac disks, and
> > I thought the same was true for cfdisk and sfdisk. Many years ago
> > there was mac-fdisk, I think also known as pdisk, but nowadays the
> > common tool for partitioning mac disks is probably parted.
>
> Yes. See now that 'fdisk' is a softlink to 'mac-fdisk'...

Sorry for not replying earlier, cutting the Cc: list on lkml is not
always conducive to quick replies.

So, you were using a valid tool, but what you put in your original
mail shows garbage - something like apple_partition_ma[mamama...
followed later by some garbage which could admittedly have been UTF-8
getting trashed in the mail. I'm on my ibook at the moment, which
has an old debian mac-fdisk on another partition. If I chroot to
that and look at the disk I see things like

/dev/hda
# type name length base ( size ) system
/dev/hda1 Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1 ( 31.5k) Partition map
/dev/hda2 Apple_Bootstrap untitled 1954 @ 64 (977.0k) NewWorld bootblock

and so forth. Notice that everything there is in legible ascii and
can be read with sensible values. If what you actually see is
similar, then it's just a problem in the mail. But if it isn't,
somehow the data on the disk (or the data being read from it) is
corrupt.

Äen
--
das eine Mal als TragÃdie, das andere Mal als Farce