Re: [RFC 0/8] Cpuset aware writeback

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Thu Jan 18 2007 - 00:24:14 EST

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > The problem there is that we do a GFP_ATOMIC allocation (no allocation
> > context) that may fail when the first page is dirtied. We must therefore
> > be able to subsequently allocate the nodemask_t in set_page_dirty().
> > Otherwise the first failure will mean that there will never be a dirty
> > map for the inode/mapping.
>
> True. But it's pretty simple to change __mark_inode_dirty() to fix this.

Ok I tried it but this wont work unless I also pass the page struct pointer to
__mark_inode_dirty() since the dirty_node pointer could be freed
when the inode_lock is droppped. So I cannot dereference the
dirty_nodes pointer outside of __mark_inode_dirty.

If I expand __mark_inode_dirty then all variations of mark_inode_dirty()
need to be changed and we need to pass a page struct everywhere. This
result in extensive changes.

I think I need to stick with the tree_lock. This also makes more sense
since we modify dirty information in the address_space structure and the
radix tree is already protected by that lock.