Re: kernel cmdline: root=/dev/sdb1,/dev/sda1 "fallback"?

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Thu Jan 18 2007 - 15:34:23 EST

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
Al Borchers wrote:
Thomas Chmielewski wrote:
These all unpleasant tasks could be avoided if it was possible to have a "fallback" device. For example, consider this hypothetical command line:

root=/dev/sdb1,/dev/sda1

Here is a patch to do this, though it sounds like you might have other
solutions.

This patch is for 2.6.18.1--thanks to Ed Falk for updating my original
2.6.11 patch. If people are interested I can update and test this on
the current kernel. It was tested on 2.6.11.

Yes, I'd be interested in a patch against a 2.6.19. It is way simpler to do it this way than to do it with initramfs (although not as flexible).

I tried your patch against 2.6.19, with some minor changes (as it wouldn't apply), but it didn't work for me (perhaps I just screwed something).

I just might want to point this as an example on the fact that as long as the in-kernel mounting code (as opposed to integrated klibc) exists, it will want to grow features...

-hpa