Re: data corruption with nvidia chipsets and IDE/SATA drives (k8 cpu errata needed?)

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Thu Jan 18 2007 - 17:54:22 EST

On Friday 19 January 2007 08:57, Chip Coldwell wrote:

> But it still might be a reasonable thing to do to test the theory that
> the problem is cache coherency across the graphics aperture, even if
> it isn't a long-term solution for the problem.

I suspect it would disturb timing so badly that it might hide the original
problem. If that is true then adding udelays might hide it too.

Ok i guess you could test with a UP kernel. There change_page_attr
should be much cheaper because it doesn't need to IPI to other CPUs. Also use
a .2.6.20-rc* kernel that uses CLFLUSH in there, not WBINVD which is also
very costly.

Anyways I guess we can just wait what the hardware people figure out.

-Andi