Re: 2.6.19.2, cp 18gb_file 18gb_file.2 = OOM killer, 100% reproducible

From: Avuton Olrich
Date: Sat Jan 20 2007 - 15:45:42 EST

On 1/20/07, Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Perhaps its time to back to a stable (2.6.17.13 kernel)?

Anyway, when I run a cp 18gb_file 18gb_file.2 on a dual raptor sw raid1
partition, the OOM killer goes into effect and kills almost all my
processes.

Completely 100% reproducible.

Does 2.6.19.2 have some of memory allocation bug as well?

I had been seeing something similar (also with 2.6.19.2), but it's not
outputting anything to dmesg, so I was waiting for something to happen
before I reported it. It's mostly the same thing, but I've only seen
it happen when copying something large (2+ GB) over NFS. Interactivity
completely goes away and lockups last 10-15 seconds a piece. Then
realized I turned the swap off, so I turned it on and didn't lockup
any longer.
--
avuton