Re: SATA exceptions with 2.6.20-rc5

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Sat Jan 20 2007 - 20:51:14 EST

Chr wrote:
Could you (or anyone else) test what happens if you take the 2.6.20-rc5
version of sata_nv.c and try it on 2.6.19? That would tell us whether
it's this change or whether it's something else (i.e. in libata core).

Ok, did that! (got a fresh 2.6.19 tar ball, and used 2.6.20-rc5' sata_nv.c
with the oneliner in libata_sff.c)

And surprise.................... after one hour uptime, there is not even one sata exceptions in dmesg! (I'll report back tomorrow...)

That is interesting, indeed.. If that holds up then I assume some other change in 2.6.20-rc is either causing or triggering this problem. It would be useful if you could try git bisect between 2.6.19 and 2.6.20-rc5, keeping the latest sata_nv.c each time, and see if that gives any indication. If not, just trying some of the different 2.6.20-rcX versions may be useful.

Before that, though, can you try making this change I suggested below in 2.6.20-rc5 and see if the problem still shows up?

Assuming that still doesn't work, can you then try removing these lines
from nv_host_intr in 2.6.20-rc5 sata_nv.c and see what that does?

/* bail out if not our interrupt */
if (!(irq_stat & NV_INT_DEV))
return 0;

as that's the difference I'm most suspicious of causing the problem.