Re: SATA exceptions with 2.6.20-rc5

From: Björn Steinbrink
Date: Sun Jan 21 2007 - 03:38:31 EST

On 2007.01.21 00:39:20 -0600, Robert Hancock wrote:
> Björn Steinbrink wrote:
> >>
> >>Yes, 'git bisect' would be the next step in figuring out this puzzle.
> >>
> >>Anybody up for it?
> >
> >I'll go for it, but could I get an explanation how that could lead to a
> >different result than my last bisection? I see the difference of keeping
> >sata_nv.c but my brain can't wrap around it right now (woke up in the
> >middle of the night and still not up to speed...).
>
> Whatever the problem is, only seems to show up when ADMA is enabled, and
> so the patch that added ADMA support shows up as the culprit from your
> git bisect. However, from what Chr is reporting, 2.6.19 with the ADMA
> support added in doesn't seem to have the problem, so presumably
> something else that changed in the 2.6.20-rc series is triggering it.
> Doing a bisect while keeping the driver code itself the same will
> hopefully identify what that change is..

Ah, right... sata_nv.c of course interacts with the outside world, d'oh!

Up to now, I only got bad kernels, latest tested being:
94fcda1f8ab5e0cacc381c5ca1cc9aa6ad523576

Which, unless I missed a commit in the diff, only USB changes,
continuing anyway.

Just to make sure, here's my little helper for this bisect run, I hope
it does what you expected:

#!/bin/bash
cp ../sata_nv.c.orig drivers/ata/sata_nv.c
git bisect good
cp drivers/ata/sata_nv.c ../sata_nv.c.orig
cp ../sata_nv.c drivers/ata/
make oldconfig
make -j4

Where "../sata_nv.c" is the version from 2.6.20-rc5. The copying is done
to avoid conflicts and keep git happy. Of course there's also a version
for bad kernels ;) No idea, why I didn't make that an argument to the
script...

Thanks,
Björn