Re: pata_sil680 module, udev and changing drive node order

From: Andre Tomt
Date: Mon Jan 22 2007 - 03:03:54 EST

Patrick Ale wrote:
The drivers load correctly but my drives seem to be in a different
order all the time, which is not very convinient when your run md
devices.

md does not rely on device names, it can work on array UUID's too (check out man mdadm.conf).

So, my question is: how do I force a fixed order for a module handling
two PCI cards, or how do I tell udev to always use the same mapping
for the device nodes in /dev?

To avoid these kinds of pitfalls I usually only specify UUID's for mdadm to assemble, not device-names. Mount can also work with partition UUID's if you are not using something like devicemapper or md in between that has a static device name scheme.

Beware that you may need a fairly modern initramfs/initrd setup to get all this to work cleanly, especially if the root device is involved.