Re: [Ksummit-2006-discuss] 2007 Linux Kernel Summit

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Mon Jan 22 2007 - 08:20:29 EST

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 07:45:02AM -0500, Alan Cox wrote:

> Definitely disagree with that. I'd like to see the conference somewhere
> else different this time - perhaps Czech Republic, or somewhere else more
> easterly and Linux active (or even Finland...)

Understand that one of the feedback that I get from the keepers of the
corporate travel budgets is that money for sending employees to exotic
locations is finite --- which is why we haven't tried pairing the
kernel summit with linux.conf.au. Cambridge works out because there
are relatively cheap flights to Amsterdam and then you can take a
cheap Ryan Air flight to Stanisted. Still, the fact that it isn't
paired with another conference means that we are getting some
expressions of unhappiness from other Kernel Summit stakeholders.
It's for that reason that (a) I'm trying to line up some folks who
might be interested in trying to put together a relatively small,
2-day technical conference after the Kernel Summit, which can
hopefully serve as a seed for something like OLS and LCA in UK/Europe,
and (b) I've told folks that the moving it away from Cambridge is a
one-time experiment, after which point we will re-evaluate.

I understand that if it were only up to us developers, we'd want to
have the conference in Honolulu, or perhaps in Australia or New
Zeland. Unfortunately there are other stakeholers and other financial
realities involved.

> > While we're at it it would be nice to get rid of all that usenix
>
> Well if you want to organise and fund it yourself 8)

The sponsors help pay for the conference venue, as well as travel
scholoarships for those people who don't have corporate affiliations,
or whose companies refuse to pay their travel, and who were important
that they be there. One of my concerns is if we have too many kernel
developers where their employes refuse to pay travel, we won't have
enough travel scholoarship money.

It's a somewhat tricky balancing act.

- Ted