Re: change strip_cache_size freeze the whole raid

From: kyle
Date: Mon Jan 22 2007 - 10:19:12 EST

> Yes, I noticed this bug too, if you change it too many times or change > it
> at the 'wrong' time, it hangs up when you echo numbr >
> /proc/stripe_cache_size.
>
> Basically don't run it more than once and don't run it at the 'wrong' > time
> and it works. Not sure where the bug lies, but yeah I've seen that on > 3
> different machines!
>
> Justin.

I just change it once, then it freeze. It's hard to get the 'right time'

Actually I tried it several times before. As I remember there was once it
freezed for around 1 or 2 minutes , then back to normal operation. This is the
first time it completely freezed and I waited after around 10 minutes it still
didn't wake up.

Kyle

What kernel version are you using? It normally works the first time for
me, I put it in my startup scripts, as one of the last items. However, if
I change it a few times, it will hang and there is no way to reboot except
via SYSRQ or pressing the reboot button on the machine.

This seems to be true of 2.6.19.1 and 2.6.19.2, I did not try under
2.6.20-rc5 because I am tired of hanging my machine :)

Justin.

It was 2.6.17.8. Now it's 2.6.7.13 but I won't touch it now! It's around 15km from me!